From Code for America Honolulu:
Have you ever gotten lost on a government website, or been confused about how it’s organized? We have. So we’re launching a new website for Honolulu citizens that’s simple, clean, and resident-focused. Honolulu Answers will be as easy to use and accessible as asking a real person a question.
Join us Saturday, July 28th, to rewrite local government. Be part of the first ever civic write-a-thon. Join us to write simple, easy-to-understand answers to your common questions, such as:
- Where do I get a camping permit?
- When is my garbage pick-up?
- How do I renew my driver’s license?
At the workshop, you’ll write short answers (1-2 paragraphs) to some of the most common questions from city residents. You don’t need to be a writer to contribute. Answers will be non-technical and written as if you were answering a question asked by your neighbor.
We’ll provide food, tools to help you write, and expertise from local Honolulu writers. So please join us Saturday, July 28th, to improve Honolulu government!
What to expect:
- Bring your laptop or tablet if you have one. We’ll have paper for those who don’t.
- City representatives will be on hand to answer any questions you have while writing a quick answer.
- Your post will earn an Author badge on Honolulu Answers.
- The Write-a-thon will be aired nationally on NBC News!
- 9 AM: Registration and Coffee
- 9:30 AM: Opening session, including a demo of Honolulu Answers
- 9:45 AM: Bill Dorman, Emmy award winning journalist: “Simple Writing”
- 10 AM: Start writing!
- 11:45 AM: Lunch
- 12 PM: Press conference set-up
- 12:30 PM: Press conference with Mayor Carlisle
- 1 PM: Resume writing
- 1:45 PM: Closing session
- 2 PM: Head to Ryan’s Grill to socialize further over Happy Hour (Optional)